Commercial Auto Insurance
Commercial Auto Insurance Information
Commercial Auto Insurance
For Companies In Merrillville, Crown Point And Surrounding Areas Across Indiana
For many businesses, transportation is one of the key threads of operation. Whether your business delivers products or has associates travel between clients, you will need commercial auto insurance to protect against accidents and claims.
Briggs Agency is an independent insurance agency dedicated to helping you find the best policy for your business and your budget. Call us at (219) 769-4840 or fill out an online quote form to get started.
Common Indiana Commercial Auto Insurance Questions
Commercial auto insurance is designed to cover vehicles used for work purposes in case of an accident. If a vehicle is owned by a business or frequently used to transport equipment, travel between clients or transport people, the vehicle will need to be insured with commercial auto insurance.
Our standard commercial auto insurance policy includes $1,000,000 combined single limit of liability, but we offer higher limits as well.
These policies offer a lot of the same coverages offered by personal auto insurance policies, such as:
- Comprehensive Coverage: This provides compensation for damages to the insured vehicle due to fire, wind, hail, falling objects, theft or vandalism.
- Collision Coverage: This provides compensation for damages to the insured vehicle due to collision with another vehicle or object.
- Liability Coverage: This covers bodily injury and property damage caused by the insured driver.
- Medical Payments Coverage: This covers medical expenses for the driver and their passengers after an accident.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: This provides coverage for accidents involving drivers not carrying insurance.
Commercial auto insurance policies are designed to cover the driver, their passengers and anyone the driver may injure while operating the insured vehicle. All those who will be operating the work vehicles should be covered under the policy.
A USDOT number is required for interstate commerce if your business:
- Uses vehicles over 10,000 lbs.
- Directly or indirectly transports 9-15 passengers (including the driver) for money
- Transports 16 or more passengers
- Transports hazardous materials
Minimum insurance requirements for semi-trucks depend on the type of commerce being hauled and the distance being traveled. According to the FMCSA, interstate semi-trucks must carry at least:
- $300,000 for non-hazardous material if the vehicle weighs less than 10,001 lbs.
- $750,000 for non-hazardous material if the vehicle weighs more than 10,001 lbs.
- $1,000,000 for oil transport by hired or private carriers
- $5,000,000 for other hazardous material transported by for-hire or private carriers
Other insurance limits should depend on the value of the semi-truck's contents. Semi-trucks should make use of cargo insurance to protect items in transport.
Fill out an online form for a free quote or call us at (219) 769-4840 to get started.