When it is cold outside we may be jealous of our furry family members’ thick coat of hair. However, our pets are just as susceptible to cold weather as we are. Here are a few tips to keep your pet(s) safe during winter weather.
1. Do Not leave your pet outside for a long period of time in freezing weather
- If it is too cold for us, it is too cold for them
- Check for signs of frost bite (ask your vet for all signs pertaining to your pet)
- Gray or pale skin
- Pain when you touch your animals ears or paws
- Acting weak, shivering, not eating
- If you see any signs, contact your vet immediately
2. Do not wash your pet as often, since they have natural oils that help avoid dry skin
3. Wipe your pets’ paws when coming back into the house, especially if they are walking on salted ground. Salt can burn your pets’ paws.
4. As in any season, keep harmful fluids away from your pets. Examples: anti-freeze and rodenticides
5. Keep your holiday chocolates out of reach!
6. Consider a grate or fence around a fireplace to avoid your pet getting burned
7. Do Not leave your pet in car in winter, especially during freezing temperatures
8. Before starting your car, check around for animals and honk your horn to see if anything crawled under the hood for warmth
We wish you and your entire family (human or animal) a safe, happy & healthy holiday season!
You can experience the benefits of being a part of a full service Independent Insurance Agency today! Simply contact Briggs Agency, Inc. if you are interested in an Insurance review at 219-769-4840 or visit our website at www.BriggsAgency.com. We look forward to hearing from you!