It is Spring!! It is time to get out into the yard and play! The bouncing fun of a trampoline is enticing to many kids, and even some adults. Here are a few requirements to make your trampoline eligible for Homeowner’s Insurance and tips for safety:
- Most insurance companies REQUIRE a safety net to be installed on a trampoline to make your home eligible for coverage. There are many medical and liability risks associated with a trampoline. Especially, for visitors using the trampoline. The requirement is to help minimize your risk of a claim for injuries associated with trampoline use.
- Trampoline must be in good condition. Older trampolines can have wear that can cause rips, leading to fall through, and rusty springs that can lead to breakage.
- INSPECT PRIOR TO USAGE – EACH TIME
o Make sure the trampoline is on even ground and not tipping or at any angle.
o Make sure the area under the trampoline is clear of any debris or objects
o The trampoline should not be near any trees, bushes, fences, other outdoor structures or power lines.
o Make sure the trampoline is dry and in good condition – including the springs
- Have a ladder, designed for a trampoline, for children to use to enter and exit the trampoline safely. When the trampoline is not in use, remove and store the ladder elsewhere.
- ONE AT A TIME! Only one person should be jumping on a trampoline at a time to avoid collision and possible injury.
- Follow manufacturer age restrictions. There are “mini” trampolines available/suggested for the younger ages (follow those manufacturer guidelines as well).
- Safety mats over springs. This helps avoids contact with the springs and help keep feet/legs from going through the spring areas.
- No Summersaults or Acrobatics! Please speak with your children regarding the dangers of doing summersaults and flips on the trampoline. A wrong landing can lead to serious neck injury.
- Parental Supervision is a MUST! Please be present while your child(ren) is enjoying their trampoline playtime.
Briggs Agency, Inc represents several A-rated insurance carriers that allow a trampoline on your property. However, they do have requirements to help minimize your exposure to risk and a possible claim. Please contact us today at 219-769-4840 to discuss further.
**Disclaimer: These are only a few general safety tips and will not ensure that there will not be any injury associated with trampoline usage. Please follow all manufacturer safety precautions, including age limits.
Blog Written By: Cassondra Summers