Recently, some insurance carriers in Indiana have offered a new endorsement that can be added, upon your request, to your Homeowner’s Insurance policy to offer coverage for service lines located on your property. A service line consist of underground piping or lines that provide a service to your dwelling. A standard Homeowner’s Insurance policy does not offer coverage for service lines without this endorsement being added to your policy.
Examples of covered service lines are:
- Ground loop piping that connects to a heat pump
- Power lines that provides electrical service to the residence premises
- Water piping that connects from the residence to a public water supply system or private well system
- Sewer piping that connects from the residence to a public sewer system or private septic system (not including “fingers” from septic tank into yard)
- Natural Gas Line that has underground service line, that insured owns, provides service to residence premise, experiences a service line occurrence
The average coverage provided by the service line endorsement is between $10,000 to $15,000 in coverage, depending on carrier’s offered limits, and would normally carry a $500 deductible. The cost varies by carrier, however, the average cost to add this endorsement is only roughly $5 a month!
Examples of service line occurrences:
- Collapse (sinkhole or subsidence collapse not included)
- Electrical and mechanical or pressure system breakdown
- Rust or other corrosion, decay, deterioration, hidden or latent defect
- Wear and tear
Occurrences normally not covered:
- Low pressure
- Direct physical damage from digging
We want to remind you that Briggs Agency, Inc represents A-rated insurance carriers to cover your Home Insurance needs! Please contact us today at 219-769-4840 or visit our website at www.BriggsAgency.com to discuss further.
Also Read: A Storm Damages Your Home, What To Do Next?