It is the beginning of the school year for our kids in Northwest Indiana. There are some schools in our area open to in-school learning. Therefore, there will be school buses to watch for on our roads. As we know the importance of teaching our children to safely enter and exit a school bus, it is just as important that drivers know the road laws when school buses are on the road.
Please review the important safety tips and road laws diagram below. We all want our children to have a safe trip to and from school!
School bus safety tips for children
- Have your child stand at a safe distance from the road while waiting for their bus to arrive.
- Children should not run to or around a school bus.
- Children must wait for the school bus to come to a complete stop and doors open prior to start walking toward the bus to enter.
- Children should keep eye contact with the bus driver when walking in front of the bus arm (in the front of bus) when entering or exiting.
- Children should remain seated and quiet on the bus to avoid distracting the bus driver.
Safety tips for drivers
- Watch for school buses!
- Yellow flashing lights - this means the bus is getting ready to stop for a child.
- Red flashing lights and extended stop arms - you must stop your vehicle since children are getting on/off the bus. You must wait until the lights have stopped flashing and the stop arm is in before you can start to drive again.
- Never pass a school bus!! Especially, a stopped school bus!
All of us here at Briggs Agency, Inc. wish all of the children in school a safe, healthy and happy school year!
Photo courtesy of drive-safely.net