The time of year has come to turn off your oven and turn on your grill! There is nothing like a fresh grilled burger and vegetables to kick off the summer! However, we want to make sure you, your family and your home are safe while enjoying the art of grilling. Please review a few safety tips below:
- Read your grills manufacturer guide and instructions for safe use.
- Set your grill up on a stable surface and consider a grill pad or mat for under your grill.
- Be sure your grill is a safe distance from your home, any structures and/or low hanging tree limbs.
- Keep your grill clean and free of grease and fat buildup. If you are clearing out charcoal, be sure the coals are completely cool and dispose in a metal container.
- Avoid using a wire brush on the grill grate, as the wires can break off and potentially end up in your food. These wires can be dangerous if ingested.
- Set up a safe zone of at least 3 feet around the grilling area. Keep children and pets away from the grill to avoid injury or accidental knock down.
- Check for propane leaks. You can use a light soap and water solution to check for bubbling on the gas tank hose. Contact your local propane dealership for safe propane usage tips!
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby! All homes should have a fire extinguisher on hand and easy to find. Be sure to keep an eye on the expiration date of your fire extinguisher.
Using The Grill
- Avoid loose-fitting clothes or aprons with strings that can dangle near or into the grill.
- Wear grilling gloves to avoid your skin being exposed to the high heat.
- Use long, grill safe utensils.
- Be careful with charcoal starter if using a charcoal grill. Read the manufacturer's instructions carefully.
- If your gas grill flame goes out, turn the gas off and wait at least five minutes to re-light.
- Once grilling is complete, turn off your propane tank and keep children and pets away as the grill stays hot for a long time after grilling is complete. If charcoal grill, this grill stays hot as well and dispose of the charcoal after completely cool and in a metal container.
We want to remind you that Briggs Agency, Inc represents several A-rated insurance carriers to cover your home! Please contact us today at (219) 769-4840 to discuss further.
Blog Written By: Cassondra Summers