Independence Day 2020 is right around the corner! With many 4th of July fireworks celebrations being canceled, some families will choose to put on their own personal firework show. We want to remind you of some general safety guidelines to help avoid possible firework injuries or damage to property.
According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), 180 people (on average) go to the emergency room each day around the 4th of July due to firework related injuries. The largest percentage of injuries are to the face, which includes the head, eyes and ears. Injuries to fingers, hands and legs follow closely in the largest percentage of injured areas. Also, the CPSC state that annually over 19,500 fires are started by fireworks. Please be sure to light fireworks away from trees, outbuilding, homes and vehicles in a clear and open area!
Sparklers can burn at over 1200 degrees Fahrenheit! That temperature is well above the heat needed to burn wood or melt glass. Please think twice about handing over a sparkler to your little one!
Per the CPSC, approximately one quarter of emergency room visits around the 4th are related to sparkler injuries obtained by children. There are safer options out there, like glow sticks, to provide some light and night sky drawing fun for kids! Children should never handle fireworks!
If fireworks are legal in your area, please be sure to light them safely! Please review the following:
- Never mix drugs and/or alcohol consumption with fireworks.
- Keep fireworks in a clear and open area away from homes, trees, and vehicles.
- Never hold fireworks in your hand after lighting and do not point lit fireworks at anyone.
- Have spectators keep a safe distance from the lighting area and wear eye protection.
- Never relight a malfunctioning firework. Leave it be for a few hours prior to discarding.
- Keep water and a fire extinguisher nearby.
All of us at Briggs Agency, Inc. wish you and your family a happy 4th of July! Please contact our agency if you are interested in an insurance review at (219) 769-4840. We represent A-rated carriers offering great coverage with competitive rates!