Last week, a lot of us in Northwest Indiana heard the wailing of our local tornado alarms. These alarms can send our hearts racing! However, being prepared can help ease tension when a severe storm hits. Many websites offer great tips on how to prepare for a tornado or severe storm and where to safely shelter. A few suggested websites to visit are www.weather.gov, www.cdc.gov and www.redcross.org.
Here are a few checklist items to review:
- Have a plan in place on where you and your family (including pets) will safely shelter in your home such as:
- Interior Windowless Hallway
- Interior Closet
- Windowless Bathroom
- Have the essential items already stored in this location such as:
- First Aid Kit
- Non-Perishable Food
- Battery powered or hand-crank radio – to listen to weather reports/updates
- Cell phone with chargers
- Pet essentials
- After a tornado
- Reach out to family to let them know you are OK
- Contact your Briggs Agency representative if you sustain any damage to your property and/or vehicles
- Listen to local authorities for further direction
We want everyone to be safe during a severe storm and encourage you to look into all of the available resources to help you be fully prepared!
At Briggs Agency, Inc., we have several Homeowners and Automobile Insurance companies that we represent that offer great claims service in the event of a loss. If you are interested in an insurance review, please feel free to call our office at (219) 769-4840 or contact us online.
Blog Written By: Cassondra Summers